Your obliques are the muscles down the sides of your waist, and they’re super important for giving your waist that feminine, nipped-in shape.
Taking the time each week to keep them strong, makes a big difference to how you will look and feel in clothes too. Plus you can do this exercise absolutely anywhere… no special equipment needed, apart from a mat or folded towel on the floor to protect your elbows.
It’s so important because it challenges the deep abdominal muscles (obliques, transverse abdominus) that many abs exercises don’t work, and helps to sculpt your body.
How to do it the side plank:
1. Lie on your right side with your knees straight.
2. Prop your upper body up on your right elbow and forearm.
3. Raise your hips until your body forms a straight line from your ankles to your shoulders. Hold this position for 30-60 seconds, depending on your fitness level and experience. Very experienced gym-goers may want to try it for up to 2 minutes.
4. Ensure that you’re engaging your core muscles by drawing your belly button in towards your spine, and that your ankles are aligned. Make sure you don’t strain your neck.
5. Turn around so that you’re lying on your left side and repeat.
Try incorporating the side plank into your workout 3-4 times a week for the best results 🙂