The perfect treat for brightening up chilly Autumn days, these Eat Yourself Fit Banana Nut Muffins are a firm family favourite and the ultimate good mood food.
Packed with vitamin B6 and the amino acid tryptophan, bananas help your body to make the mood-boosting happy hormone, serotonin. Sufficient levels of this important neurotransmitter in your brain help to lower cravings for fatty and sugary foods, improve your sleep, increase feelings of contentment and self-confidence and reduce feelings of stress, anxiety and depression.
I included the pecans in these muffins, because they provide the mineral zinc, a co-factor in the production of serotonin. Every little boost helps once those dark evenings draw in!
- coconut oil, to grease
- 250ml (1 cup) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 315g (2 cups) white or brown rice flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 21/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 100g (1/2 cup) coconut sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, chopped into small pieces plus 8 slices, to garnish
- 4 tbsp chopped pecans
- 72g (1/3 cup) coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 190C and lightly greased a muffin tray with coconut oil, or lay out 8 muffin cases.
- Place the almond milk in a small bowl or glass and add in the apple cider vinegar. Stir well and leave aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour and add the baking powder, baking soda and coconut sugar. Combine well.
- Melt the coconut oil and in a separate bowl, mix together the vanilla extract with the oil. Add in the almond milk/vinegar mixture (the milk should have curdled slightly).
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture in the large bowl and stir together until a thick dough forms.
- Gently fold in the chopped nuts and banana pieces and ensure they're evenly distributed.
- Divide the mixture into the muffin tin or cases, top each with a thin slice of banana and bake at 190C for 20-25 minutes, until the muffins turn golden-brown and the banana on top starts to caramelise.
- Allow to cool on a wire cooling rack for 10 minutes before serving.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place for 2-3 days.