There are few more practical and popular brekkies than porridge to set you up with a warming and nourishing start to the day. Oats are a good source of nutrients, including plenty of fibre and complex carbs, to help keep you feeling full right up until lunch. It’s well known that a decent breakfast helps to improve your mood and concentration levels, and reduces the likelihood of you reaching for a croissant, pastry or chocolate biscuit by 11am!
I recently bought a bag of quinoa flakes, and thought they would make a good alternative to oats….
Quinoa is similarly gluten-free and is considered a seed rather than a grain. You’re more likely used to seeing and eating quinoa as a savoury dish, but its mild nutty taste absorbs sweeter flavours and spices very well too.
Oats are easy to find and inexpensive, but quinoa packs a greater nutritional punch than oats, as it contains all the essential amino acids, plus phosphorus, magnesium and iron. It’s also easy to digest, and really quick to cook!
I love using an array of warming and immune-boosting spices at this time of year, and especially on those dark, dreary mornings. In this porridge, I stirred in grated ginger, lemon zest, cinnamon and nutmeg, which worked well with the vanilla, banana and almond butter. It was a simple way to enjoy a range of different flavours for breakfast!
- 480ml (2 cups) unsweetened almond milk
- 100g (1 cup) quinoa flakes (oats can be used instead, if you prefer them)
- 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract/vanilla seeds
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- the zest of half a fresh lemon
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 tsp almond butter
- In a saucepan over a medium heat, bring the almond milk to a low boil.
- Add the quinoa flakes and stir in the vanilla extract/seeds.
- Turn down the heat and allow the quinoa flakes to simmer for 5 minutes until the milk has almost evaporated and a thick porridge has formed. Stir regularly to prevent burning.
- Stir in the grated ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest.
- Serve topped with sliced banana and almond butter.
- Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days.