This simple, nutrient-rich quinoa and mixed veggie dish is a firm favourite of mine as it serves as another little reminder to eat your daily quota of colourful vegetables.
Jam-packed with complete plant protein, fibre, omega-3 and omega-6 fats, vitamins and minerals, it’s easy, versatile and inexpensive to whip up in under half an hour. Promise!
Let me know if you give this Quinoa and Hemp Seed Colour Bowl a go and I love to see all your creations on social media! Simply tag #RosannaDavisonNutrition on Instagram or Twitter or come on over to my Facebook to say hello 🙂
- 170g quinoa
- 470ml low-sodium vegetable stock
- 80g black or green olives, stoned
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 cooked beetroot, finely grated
- half a red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp hulled hemp seeds
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- juice of 1 lime
- Pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Rinse the quinoa well in a sieve. Put the vegetable stock into a medium saucepan. Bring it to the boil and add in the quinoa. Stir well, cover and lower the heat. Allow it to simmer for 15–20 minutes, until the quinoa seeds have opened out. Remove the quinoa from the heat and keep it covered to soak up any remaining stock for 5–10 minutes.
- Prepare the vegetables while the quinoa is cooking. Place the cooked quinoa in a large bowl and fluff it up with a fork before adding the olives, tomatoes, carrots, beetroot, onion, garlic, coriander, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, smoked paprika and ginger. Mix together well. Drizzle with lime juice and add seasoning to taste.
- Transfer to two serving bowls, scatter over the fresh mint and serve straightaway.
- Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.