Friday is usually leg and bum day for me at Bodybyrne Gym (ouch!) but I also got some arm work done during my workout today.
When it comes to training your triceps, one of the very best exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles and banish any bingo wings, is the tricep dip. It’s truly excellent for strengthening your upper body and giving you defined tricep muscle tone. Even better? It can be done anywhere and with no equipment!
All you will need is a sturdy enough bench, chair or low coffee table that will support your weight and won’t move. In the gym, use a bench as I did today.
This exercise can be performed up to 3-4 times a week, with 3-4 rounds and 12-15 reps each time depending on your level of fitness. If you’re more of an advanced gym-goer, try putting your feet up on a bench or bosu ball to challenge your triceps even more 😉
How to do a tricep dip:
- Hoist yourself up onto a bench, chair or step as long as it is stable and secure to take your body weight.
- Your hands should be shoulder width apart, with your fingers facing forward and elbows pointing backwards with a slight bend in the elbows.
- Ensure that your back is straight and close to the edge of the chair or bench
- Your legs should be extended out in front of you, with a slight bend in the knee.
- Engage your core muscles and slowly lower your body down until your shoulder joints are below your elbows.
- Push back up until your elbows are nearly straight but do not lock them out.
- Repeat 12-15 times, for 3-4 rounds until you really feel it in your triceps!