I set off bright and early this morning to the TV3 studios for a cookery demo on Ireland AM. As it was a short five-minute slot on air, I decided to make one of my favourite breakfast recipes from my new book, Eat Yourself Fit. Strawberry and Banana Porridge Bread is based on seven easy-to-find and relatively inexpensive ingredients, all of which are available from Aldi.
I created this recipe to be simple to make, taste delicious and support energy levels throughout the morning.
To make the bread, I mashed fresh strawberries and bananas into a pulp and added ground flaxseed, oat flour, coconut oil, vanilla extract and baking powder. That’s it! Although you can add a sweetener such as honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar to the bread, I find that it tastes naturally sweet with the fruit and vanilla extract.
Oats are a wonderful food for sustaining energy levels before or after a workout, as they release their energy slowly into your bloodstream. That’s one of the reasons why they’re known as a popular fitness food and a go-to complex carb for fitness fanatics.
Ground flaxseed is one of nature’s best sources of essential omega-3 fat and fibre, and a brilliant food for helping you to stay full for hours. Fibre also helps to boost digestive health. An optimally-functioning digestive system benefits you in numerous ways, and even helps to prevent a bloated stomach. Oats and bananas both encourage the production of serotonin for a happy mood, and melatonin for peaceful sleep.
Enjoy a slice of toasted porridge bread in the morning with a slather of nut butter, and you’ll be far less tempted to reach for that mid-morning biscuit, chocolate bar or pastry. I promise!
Did you miss the segment this morning? Click here to watch it back online!
I would love to know if you get a chance to make this Strawberry and Banana Porridge Bread! Simply tag #RosannaDavisonNutrition on Instagram or Twitter or come on over to my Facebook to say hello 🙂
- 4 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 8 tbsp cold water
- 2 ripe bananas
- 8 medium strawberries
- 4 tbsp coconut palm sugar, maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted
- 400g porridge oats (Use certified gluten-free if necessary)
- Preheat the oven to 190C and lightly grease a loaf tin with coconut oil or line it with greaseproof paper.
- Prepare the 'flax eggs' by mixing the ground flaxseed with the cold water in a bowl. Leave it aside. In a large mixing bowl, mash together the banana and strawberries until quite smooth but some texture remains.
- Add in the optional sweetener and vanilla, and mix well.
- Stir in the baking powder, flaxseed mixture and melted coconut oil and stir until combined.
- Prepare the oat flour by blending the oats in a food processor or blender until a flour is formed.
- Fold the flour into the mixture to form a dough.
- Place the dough into the loaf tin and use a spatula to smooth across the top.
- Bake at 190C for 45-50 minutes, until the top turns golden-brown and a knife comes out clean from the centre.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.
- The bread can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.